Sunday, March 11, 2012

Taj Mahal Carpinteria


You just can't miss the white "Taj Mahal" house behind the old Santa Claus Lane Candy Kitchen. Santa is long gone but this compound of middle eastern style homes keeps expanding. A nice low tide gave me ample time to walk around the coastline and better view this intriguing architecture up close. Easily seen as a landmark from the 101 fwy, boat, plane, or distant beach shore, this mansion always leaves me wondering... who lives there?

Aerial view
Photo by John Wiley








1 comment:

  1. My father was stationed in Santa Barbara during WWII and moved my mother and brother to live in Montecito. My mother remembers that when she walked on the beach in front of that house that the mosaic tile floors where being washed away with the tide. No one lived there during the war so no one could build a berm to keep the water from coming into the house.

    ReplyDelete